Safety Tips for Bike to Work Day Colorado Springs
While the weather in Colorado can sometimes be unpredictable, our 300 days of sunshine offers the opportunity to bike to work. Biking to work benefits you in many ways including:
- Saving money on gas
- Getting a daily workout
- Reducing air pollution
- Avoiding traffic
- Getting fresh air and sunshine
- Increasing positive mood
Whether you are a seasoned bike enthusiast or just getting started, you’ll want to keep some safety precautions in mind if you plan to participate in Bike to Work Day Colorado Springs.
Tips for Biking to Work Safely
Bicycles are considered vehicles in most states, and rules apply for safely operating bikes in the same way they do to cars. In order to avoid accidents or injuries follow these tips.
- The first thing to take care of when you decide to bike to work is a good helmet. This one simple step can reduce your risk of injury by as much as 85 percent.
- Wear bright or reflective clothing, especially if you need to ride your bike in the dark. It’s important to stay visible to those around you.
- Keep your bike properly maintained. Check your tire pressure, gears, brakes and chain regularly.
- Know the rules of the road. Use proper hand signals and stay in bike lanes or on approved roadways.
- Watch for hazards in your path such as rocks, glass or sand, and pay special attention at intersections.
- Don’t wear earbuds while riding to work. You need to be fully aware of your surroundings in order to react quickly.
Follow these six tips, and Bike to Work Day Colorado Springs will be safe and fun!
Bike to Work Day Colorado Springs
In the state of Colorado, June is bike to work month, with an official “bike to work day” that is normally scheduled in the month of June. For 2020 the date has been postponed to September 22, 2020. The number of participants in Bike to Work Day Colorado Springs has risen dramatically since it’s start in 1995. Biking is especially popular in Colorado, so that trend is likely to continue.
If you are an inexperienced biker and find yourself sore or injured after biking to work, contact the specialists at Colorado Springs Orthopaedic Group to help get you healthy and back on your bicycle enjoying all the benefits of riding your bike to work.