Grilled Food, Independence, and Whiplash – 4th of July Injuries
The 4th of July is a great day to spend time with friends and family as you celebrate Independence Day. Unfortunately, it is also a day of increased emergency room visits. Some are due to burns from fireworks, however the other causes of 4th of July injuries may surprise you.
Five most common 4th of July injuries
- Face and Eye Injuries: When you are looking up at fireworks, your risk of injury is greater. Be cautious around fireworks, and seek medical attention if your face or eyes are hurt.
- Hand and Finger Injuries: Again, when handling fireworks, use caution. Even sparklers can burn your hands and fingers.
- Food poisoning: Proper food handling practices will help alleviate this problem. Always wash your hands when preparing food, and keep foods at safe temperatures.
- Swimming accidents: Always be sure children are attended and wearing life vests. If the adults are drinking, they should not be swimming. This is just as dangerous as drunk driving.
- Car Accidents: The number one cause of 4th of July injuries is auto accidents. This is partly due to the increased number of people out on the roadways and also to those drinking and driving.
Whiplash and other auto accident related injuries
Since car accidents are the biggest cause of 4th of July injuries, it is important to know what to do if you find yourself in an accident. Whiplash is caused by the sudden movement of the neck in a back and forth motion. It is common in rear-ending accidents. Sometimes the effects of a whiplash injury are not immediately apparent. For this reason, it is important to see a doctor after any car accident.
Bone fractures and joint damage are also a common injuries that can occur in a car accident. If you are experiencing any pain after an auto accident, seek medical attention. The doctors at the Express Care Clinic at Colorado Springs Orthopaedic Group can assess your injuries and set up an effective treatment plan.
Exploring the Benefits of Reverse Shoulder Replacement When you have tried the non-surgical treatments for shoulder pain such as activity changes and medication, it may be time to speak to a specialist about a [...]
Have you figured out where to get a sports physical for your student athlete? Back to school means the end of summer and the beginning of school sports. Most schools will require a specific [...]
What is the value and purpose of physical therapy? Physical therapists use precise exercises and specialized equipment to help rehabilitate your physical abilities. They routinely start treatment with an intake appointment. At this time [...]
When you experience groin pain, it is important to understand pulled groin symptoms A strained groin muscle is commonly referred to as a pulled groin. A strain occurs when a muscle or tendon in the [...]