Grilled Food, Independence, and Whiplash – 4th of July Injuries
The 4th of July is a great day to spend time with friends and family as you celebrate Independence Day. Unfortunately, it is also a day of increased emergency room visits. Some are due to burns from fireworks, however the other causes of 4th of July injuries may surprise you.
Five most common 4th of July injuries
- Face and Eye Injuries: When you are looking up at fireworks, your risk of injury is greater. Be cautious around fireworks, and seek medical attention if your face or eyes are hurt.
- Hand and Finger Injuries: Again, when handling fireworks, use caution. Even sparklers can burn your hands and fingers.
- Food poisoning: Proper food handling practices will help alleviate this problem. Always wash your hands when preparing food, and keep foods at safe temperatures.
- Swimming accidents: Always be sure children are attended and wearing life vests. If the adults are drinking, they should not be swimming. This is just as dangerous as drunk driving.
- Car Accidents: The number one cause of 4th of July injuries is auto accidents. This is partly due to the increased number of people out on the roadways and also to those drinking and driving.
Whiplash and other auto accident related injuries
Since car accidents are the biggest cause of 4th of July injuries, it is important to know what to do if you find yourself in an accident. Whiplash is caused by the sudden movement of the neck in a back and forth motion. It is common in rear-ending accidents. Sometimes the effects of a whiplash injury are not immediately apparent. For this reason, it is important to see a doctor after any car accident.
Bone fractures and joint damage are also a common injuries that can occur in a car accident. If you are experiencing any pain after an auto accident, seek medical attention. The doctors at the Express Care Clinic at Colorado Springs Orthopaedic Group can assess your injuries and set up an effective treatment plan.
Activities and Essential Nutrients for Better Bone Health One of the most important things you can do to enhance your life is to maintain strong, healthy bones. Your bones deteriorate as you age, and most [...]
Safety Tips for Kids Playing Sports Your young athlete is learning valuable skills, having fun and staying fit. Most parents encourage their children to engage in sports for all of these benefits. You may also [...]
Learn the Best Sleeping Positions for Neck and Back Pain Relief When you sleep your body is doing much more than resting. This time allows your body to regenerate and enable you to feel [...]