How to prevent common winter injuries and when to go to the hospital
Winter brings fun times celebrating the holidays with family and friends as well as participating in exhilarating sports like skiing and sledding. Winter also has a set of common injuries that can leave you wondering when to go to the hospital. You can enjoy all that winter has to offer while still remaining injury-free.
Common winter injuries
Because of the snow and ice, winter carries with it the risk of injury. Some of the most common ways people get hurt in wintertime are:
- Slipping and falling on ice
- Over-exertion while shoveling
- Injuries from winter activities such as sledding, ice skating and skiing
- Automobile accidents
While there are risks, you need not stay indoors to keep yourself and your family safe this season.
Preventing winter injuries
Prevention takes some prior planning, but is well worth the effort to keep you and your family healthy and happy.
- Help prevent slips and falls by using ice melt and wearing appropriate foot attire for the snow. Take your time, and use handrails when available.
- When shoveling snow, be sure to take breaks, wear warm clothing, and go at a slow pace. To avoid over-exerting one side of your body, alternate throwing the snow to your left or right side.
- Use caution when participating in winter sports. Use the correct equipment, and do not take unnecessary risks.
- If you must go out in icy conditions, most car accidents are preventable when drivers keep a safe following distance, go slowly, and minimize distractions. When in doubt, don’t go out!
When to go to the hospital
Sometimes things happen, even when you have done your best to prevent injuries. At this point you may be wondering when to go to the hospital. A visit to the Emergency Room is in order for all life-threatening injuries. For other severe or minor injuries to your bones or joints, the Colorado Springs Orthopaedic Group Express Care Clinic is the perfect option for the best possible care. Our specialists will make you comfortable and assess your injury as quickly as possible to get you on the road to healing and back to enjoying the wonderful winter festivities.
Activities and Essential Nutrients for Better Bone Health One of the most important things you can do to enhance your life is to maintain strong, healthy bones. Your bones deteriorate as you age, and most [...]
Safety Tips for Kids Playing Sports Your young athlete is learning valuable skills, having fun and staying fit. Most parents encourage their children to engage in sports for all of these benefits. You may also [...]
Learn the Best Sleeping Positions for Neck and Back Pain Relief When you sleep your body is doing much more than resting. This time allows your body to regenerate and enable you to feel [...]